How to set targets, galvanise leadership and embed a credible blueprint to deliver on the Climate Change Plan
This SSN member event will bring together experiences of design, development and implementation of climate and sustainability strategies. We’re keen to explore how strategies can mobilise leadership and generate a clear sense of direction and commitment on climate action and delivery of the Climate Change Plan. We’ll assess their purpose to help underpin all activities, operations and decisions across a public sector organisation. We’ll consider how to avoid a well-designed plan being left ignored in a drawer. What’s the winning formula for effective strategies and management plans? Join us and find out!
10:30am Arrival and Registration: Tea, coffee and registration
11:00am Opening and Welcome: Kate Dapré, SSN Chair, Head of Energy and Sustainability, NHS Scotland
Guest Speaker: Lolita Jackson, Special Advisor, Network Relationships, Climate Policy and Programs, NYC Office of the Mayor
11:45am Panel: Has Your Strategy Performed and Transformed? SSN member experiences of design, development and implementation
- Dr Mairi Davies, Climate Change Manager, Conservation, Historic Environment Scotland
- Lesley Hinshelwood, Sustainable Development Officer, South Lanarkshire Council
- Dr Mark Williams, Head of Environmental Science and Regulation, Scottish Water
- Lorna Jarvie, Coordinator (Sustainability and Fleet), South Ayrshire Council
12:45pm Lunch and Networking
1:30-2:45pm Formulation & Implementation: Working & Discussion Roundtables: This will be an activity based group session. Participants will work in facilitated small groups to draw up their own winning strategy, based on the following themes:
- Setting targets: What kind and how?
- Effective co-design and buy in: Who and how? Getting senior buy-in and involvement from the get-go, making your strategy tangible, realistic and meaningful.
- Using the SDGs and other tools as leverage: Are the SDGs and other tools providing leverage to help inform and implement our strategies? Do they help to communicate to the public and wider community. Encouraging vertical and horizontal alignment. What’s the experience of business? What other policy tools can help to drive change?
- How will you communicate and implement: How to pitch, present and share a strategy (internally) once designed – how to use it to start a conversation and generate action.
- Monitoring, measuring and reporting: The role of good metrics, data gathering, disaggregation and sharing progress.
- Finance and investment
2:45pm Investing in a Nature Rich Future for Climate and Social Goals, Alan Hampson, Head of Portfolio Planning and Budgeting, Scottish Natural Heritage
3:05pm Reflections and next steps, Kate Dapré, SSN Chair
3:15pm Close, refreshments and networking
Use the button below to register. Note that this event is for SSN members only. If you're not an SSN member and would like to attend, please get in touch with us: firstname.lastname@example.org