Annual Compliance Reports
All public bodies listed in Schedule 1 of the ‘Climate Change (Duties of Public Bodies; Reporting Requirements) (Scotland) Order 2015’ as amended by the Climate Change (Duties of Public Bodies: Reporting Requirements) (Scotland) Amendment Order 2020, are required to report annually on compliance with climate change duties established under S44 of the Climate Change (Scotland) Act 2009 and in accordance with Schedule 2 of the 2015 Order.
In response to the global climate emergency and Scotland’s net zero by 2045 target and following public consultation in 2019, the 2020 Amendment Order set out additional annual reporting requirements with effect for reporting periods commencing on or after 1st April 2021.
All annual compliance reports must now also include:
- the body’s target date for achieving zero direct emissions of greenhouse gases, or such other targets that demonstrate how the body is contributing to Scotland achieving its emissions reduction targets;
- where applicable, targets for reducing indirect emissions of greenhouse gases;
- how the body will align its spending plans and use of resources to contribute to reducing emissions and delivering its emissions reduction targets;
- how the body will publish, or otherwise make available, its progress to achieving its emissions reduction targets; and
- where applicable, what contribution the body has made to helping deliver Scotland’s Climate Change Adaptation Programme.
Illustrative Net Zero Statement
Some public bodies have already set net zero targets or are aligned to sectoral targets, for example, NHS Scotland's and Colleges Scotland's net zero by 2040. Many more are currently developing targets. The Scottish Government recognises, however, that smaller public bodies may lack sufficient technical expertise/capacity to set appropriate targets. An illustrative Net Zero Statement has been developed for such bodies to adopt. The statement is an illustration only and bodies should amend and adapt it to suit their own circumstances. Where possible, bodies should set target dates in advance of those indicated in the illustration. The statement can be added to in future years, for example as bodies set specific targets around Scope 3 emissions.
Reports must be submitted no later than 30th November 2022 to email@example.com or risk being classed as non-compliant.
Master Template: All information and data must be entered using the master template (link to download).
Using pre-2010 Excel: if your organisation runs a pre-2010 version of Microsoft Excel please use this template to avoid issues with macros (link to download).
Reporting Guidance: updated SSN 2022 Reporting Guidance is now available here.
Additional information and support
Training resources: training resources including videos and worked examples on completing each part of the template are available here https://sustainablescotlandnetwork.org/resources[GJ1]
Public Sector Leadership on the Global Climate Emergency provides advice for public bodies on: leadership; robust, consistent and comprehensive carbon management; interpretations of the strengthened legislation; and resources available to support public bodies.
- Previous years’ reports and SSN Annual Summary Analysis Reports can be downloaded below.
Deadline: Reports must be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org by 30 November 2022 in order to be compliant and inform the subsequent summary analysis.
Get in touch: Please direct all reporting queries to email@example.com . Please attach the template if your query concerns a data entry issue/error or if you require extra rows to be added.